Housing Ombudsman

If you are still unhappy once we have considered your complaint, you can have your complaint heard by a ‘designated person’ as defined by law. This can be an elected representative, such as a local MP or Councillor.  You can complain to the Housing Ombudsman at any time. However, if you have not made a complaint with us, they will usually send your complaint to us first.

For more information, please visit the Housing Ombudsman website.

Contact Us

Please contact us on 01527 61643 below and email to enquiries@ymcaworcestershire.org.uk